Racing at Croft started way back in the 1920’s but World War II like many other UK circuits kick started everything. Swiftly becoming home to a several runways and barracks for the Canadian Airforce. After the war had finished motor sport fan, Bruce Ropner decided he wanted to make use of this now empty area and with the help of his fiends he managed to buy half of the airfield at auction in 1962. He them promptly started designing and building his own motor sport venue which was completed in 1964. The first race meeting was held on the August bank holiday in 1964 and saw crowds of up to 30,000 attend this special event to open such a fantastic circuit.
In 1981 Croft decided to retire from tarmac racing and concentrate on Rallycross where held as holding the greatest Rallycross event in the country attracting international events and media coverage. In 1995 the track owner decided to go back to tarmac events and soon become a favorite for both drivers and spectators and in 1997 the circuit was overhauled extending the track to 2.127 miles using some of the existing runways to build on making it the track we know and love today.